The lesson plans detailed below are intended to help prepare your students for the Electronic Field Trip to Saguaro National Park. These lesson plans are designed to be hands-on and adaptable for 4th through 8th grade.
CLASSROOM CLASSIFICATION [pdf]
Desert Herps Photo Set [pdf]
- Observe physical and social characters of classmates.
- Create a dichotomous key using these characters.
- Use photo evidence to define characters and a key for 12 desert herps.
- Test the value of the keys they create and suggest improvements.
DESERT DIVERSITY [pdf]
Desert Plants [PowerPoint]
Desert Plants [pdf]
- View a PowerPoint of common desert plants
- Do a hands-on activity demonstrating plant adaptations
TREES-AND-ME TIME CAPSULE [pdf]
Saguaro Census mock form [pdf]
- Learn about the Saguaro Census at Saguaro National Park
- Measure and record information about themselves
- Measure and record information about local trees
- Archive materials and pass them on to future classes
CLIMATE CHANGE COUNTDOWN [pdf]
Life Zones Chart [pdf]
Countdown Number Cards [pdf]
Desert Species Pictures [pdf]
- Construct a life zones map of Saguaro National Park
- Learn how different species live in different communities
- Play a game that predicts changes in species due to climate change
SCHOOL YARD BIOBLITZ! [pdf]
Mini BioBlitz [pdf]
Field Report Form [pdf]
- Observe species in their schoolyard or neighborhood
- Record their findings in visual mediums
- Use on-line, printed, and community resources to identify organisms
- Share information on BioBlitz events with classmates